Breaking An Impasse
When you dig the ditch too deep, it’s hard to fill it in.
The trick to breaking an impasse is knowing how to reopen talks gracefully, without loss of face or bargaining power. Losing face is always more important than bargaining power. Saving face is the best path toward breaking impasse.
How to prevent Losing Face. How to build Saving Face.
– Do what you can to avoid all potential embarrassments,
– Avoid pointing out someone’s mistakes openly in front of their peers.
– Show extra respect by to all elders and people of rank, title.
– Always give credit when due. Give sincere compliments when they are merited.
– Laugh and smile at your own mistakes but then let them go.
– Compliment your host many times.